Student Learning Objectives
STUDENT LEARNING OBJECTIVES
The implementation of Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) requires a process to document a measure of educator effectiveness based on student achievement of content standards. The SLO process consists of 3 components: Design, Build, and Review.
Act 82 requires the 2014-15 implementation of SLOs for all teachers in all grade levels and content areas (35% of overall evaluation in 2014-15).
Student Learning Objective (SLO) Template - A tool used to identify goals, indicators and performance measures for use in the Teacher Effectiveness System.
STUDENT LEARNING OBJECTIVES PROCESS1. AUGUST - DESIGN - "Thinking Step" used to conceptualize the learning objective in terms of content, students, and performance measures.
2. SEPTEMBER - BUILD & REVIEW - This component is the "action" step in the process that focuses on completing the SLO Process Template, creating or selecting performance measures and performance indicators, and reflecting on SLO coherency.
- Thinking about what content standards to measure
- Organizing standards and measures
- Discussing collective goals with colleagues
- Researching what is needed for a high quality SLO
- Completing the Goal/Rationale (see Related Files - Template #1) and Standards (see Related Files - Template #2) and uploading into Teachscape before the first student day.
3. OCTOBER - JAN - DATA COLLECTION
- Select the performance measures
- Develop targets and expectations
- Share draft materials with other colleagues
- Complete the SLO template (See Related Files - Template #3)
- Use the SLO Coherency Rubric to reflect on the coherency of your SLO
- Upload both the SLO template and the SLO Coherency Rubric to Teachscape by September 30th.
- Administrator Review of SLOs Using Quality Assurance Checklist - see related files
- Completeness - refers to the correct data entered into the SLO Process Template
- Comprehensiveness - refers to the performance measures meeting the technical quality necessary to measure student achievement
- Coherency - refers to the alignment of the performance measures to the SLO goal and objectives (targets)
- Teacher Refinement of SLOs based upon feedback from principal
- Teacher Data Collection & Reflection
4. FEBRUARY - MID YEAR MEETINGS
- Review of Data Collected
- Review/Revision of performance indicator(s)
5. MAY - END of YEAR MEETINGS
- Evaluation of performance indicator(s)
- Determination of the elective rating