ELL Content Area Teaching Resources
Planned Instruction in Academic Content Areas
- The CASD language instructional program provides ELs with meaningful, comprehensible access to instruction in all content areas required by the PA Academic Standards.
- The PA English Language Proficiency Standards are an overlay to the academic standards and are incorporated into planned instruction for ELs by ALL teachers.
- ESL teachers assist content area teachers in planning appropriate instruction and evaluation as necessary.
Content Area Teacher Responsibilities
- Review ELs WIDA score reports to determine overall language proficiency level and areas of strength and need.
- Review the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS - Social/Instruction and Content Area)
- Review the Performance Definitions (see related files at the bottom of this webpage) appropriate to each student's language proficiency level.
- Review the appropriate Can Do Descriptors (see related links at the bottom of this webpage).
- Use Model Performance Indicators MPIs (see related files at the bottom of this webpage) to differentiate instruction and assessments.