Project Title: Catasauqua Area School District Educator in the Workplace
Objectives of the project:
- To provide educators with experiences that will promote a better understanding of in-demand occupations, the skills necessary to succeed in the current workplace, and how the subjects they teach connect to the world beyond the classroom.
- To utilize these experiences when developing curriculum and planning instruction by integrating college and career readiness into all subjects at all grade levels.
- To increase the alignment between student expectations, goals, and workforce realities.
Description of the project:
The Catasauqua Area School District Educator in the Workplace Project is designed to provide teachers, counselors, and administrators with experiences that will allow the participants to develop a deeper understanding of the PA Career Education and Work standards. Furthermore, participants in this project will deepen their understanding of career awareness, acquisition, and retention by interacting directly with industry and business leaders, while learning about industry trends, needs, and opportunities. Finally, project participants will apply what they have learned to enhance the Catasauqua educational program through enhanced counseling, improved instruction, and thoughtful integration of college and career readiness skills within the curriculum.
Who Is Involved?
With support provided by the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit, Catasauqua Area School District teachers, counselors, and administrators will participate in the Catasauqua Area School District Educator in theWorkplace project with Lehigh Career & Technical Institute, post-secondary education and local business and industry partners.
Potential impact of the project (i.e., benefits, outcomes):
- Strengthen school district-workplace partnerships
- Increase educators’ understanding of the career education and work standards
- Increase educators’ knowledge of in-demand occupations and workplace success skills
- Integrate career education and work standards in all grade levels/subject areas
- Increase students’ knowledge of in-demand occupations and workplace success skills
- Better prepare students for success after high school graduation
- Share college and career readiness information with students, parents, and community members
- Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit, Lehigh Career & Technical Institute, Lehigh Carbon Community College, CareerLink Lehigh Valley, Guardian Insurance, B. Braun, Lehigh Valley Hospital, PPL
- TBD – In addition to the partners listed above, we hope to connect with at least two additional business partners
QUALITY LINKS & RESOURCES:
College & Career Readiness Success Center - American Institutes for Research
Career Key - College and Career Readiness Kit for Counselors
Digital Citizenship - Common Sense Media
Edutopia - Resources and Downloads to Support College and Career Readiness
Framework for 21st Century Learning
Global Competency Resources - Asia Society
Google Applied Digital Skills - MS and HS Curriculum Resources
Kevin Fleming - Redefining Education
Khan Academy - College Careers and More
Learning First Alliance Career Readiness Tools
PBS - All the Difference Lesson Plans/Video - Envisioning the Future Starting Now
National Association of Colleges & Employers
News & Media Literacy Toolkit - Common Sense Education
SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES:
CASD Educator in the Workplace
Future Ready PA Index - Summary of Indicators
PA Career Education & Work Standards
PDE Chapter 339 Information and Resources
PDE Toolkits (AP, Dual Enrollment, Work-Based Learning, etc.)
Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit
Lehigh Carbon Community College
Lehigh Career & Technical Institute
Guardian Insurance - Bethlehem
Lehigh Valley Hospital/Lehigh Valley Health Network
Pictured Above: Department of Labor and Industry Secretary Oleksiak congratulates CASD administrators on the CASD Educator in the Workplace grant award.